The early Cold War era marked a very critical time for the Americas. During this time, nations saw a rise in globalization paralleled by an explosion of consumerism. These changes brought about power struggles, which ensued as nations clawed their way to the top and into superpower roles.
With these changes came increased tension between the democratic and communist nations. In the aftermath of World War II, the fear of a new war weighed heavily on the people of the Americas. This weight soon caused political, economic, and social division within these nations.
In this assignment, you will review, reflect upon, and share your thoughts about the changes people experienced and witnessed during the first decades of the Cold War.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the L'Unita Interview with Fidel Castro and Salvador Allende's speech from this week's Learning Resources.
- Chose two elements from the following:
- Imagine that you were born near the end of World War II and that you are now a young adult living in a country we read about this past week (so you would be writing in the 1960s), reflecting on the past two decades of the Cold War.
- Consider what you would have experienced and witnessed during the Cold War.
- Think about what it was like to live through the effects of the Cold War.
- Draw from your readings and consider how the events of this era have created changes in the social, political/governmental, religious, and economic arenas of your country and the world.
- Write a 1-page journal entry for each of the two elements chosen and evaluate the changes you would have experienced and witnessed during this period of the Cold War.
Questions about this assignment? Post them in the Contact the Instructor area. That way, everyone in the class will see, and benefit from, the Instructor's response.
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment. In order to receive full credit, all assignments are due on time. Should you encounter an unanticipated and uncontrollable life event that may prevent you from meeting an assignment deadline, contact the Instructor immediately to request an extension. Your Instructor's contact information is in the Contact the Instructor area. For a full description of the late policy, please refer to the “Policies on Late Assignments” section of your Syllabus.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Assignment Evaluation Criteria to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 3 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your evaluation criteria:
Assignment Evaluation Criteria
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 3 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To submit your Assignment:
Week 3 Assignment